Monday 27 July 2020

FAKE BAKE talks over-40 tanning and Gen X style icons, as JLo turns 51...


 

We are not sure if you know this, but not everyone on Team Fake Bake is under 30. We are a pretty diverse and mixed bunch which is brilliant: it means we know our Fake Bake tanning tribes well. So this week we thought we’d talk tanning and style for everyone over 40. Listen, it’s hard to classify us by age. We are all different. But from chatting to you and being mindful of what’s going on in the media, we know that this is one stylish gang, who are determined to look and feel great for decades to come. This week we are concentrating on the girls, but we’ve got the boys in our sights....


In order to get it spot on we thought we’d talk to a good friend of the brand, Nancy Buckland Kirk. Nancy has been part of our Fake Bake family for two decades, and was our Social Media genie for seven years. So as someone who has been using the range from her 30’s now into her 50’s, she knows what issues and changes women in particular are facing. Now an experienced fashion and beauty writer, we thought we’d hand the rest of this week over to her…

You’ve known us for so long! What’s it like to have watched the brand grow?

“Back in the day, there was no social media and Fake Bake didn’t use traditional advertising so it was all down to hard work, word-of-mouth, and getting well known faces on board. When socials first started, I can remember Facebook having just 40 followers, and that felt big! As socials grew, so did the brand even further. The hard work that goes on BTS is just unreal. I most enjoyed when new products were launched, winning awards, and fabulous events. Working with the brand was brilliant fun, and I’ve always stayed in touch with everyone. I’ve made a lot of friends, for sure. It’s been wonderful to see what Sandra Vaughan has done for the industry and also Victoria Halliday - both are so well respected, and down-to-earth!”

As the years have moved on, how has your style changed?

“When Fake Bake launched we had just celebrated the year 2000, I had not long turned 30 and it felt like the world was a huge party palace. I like quite classic styles but even I went a bit J-Lo! In my mum’s day, you really did change at 40. Hemlines dipped and you covered your arms. Now pretty much anything goes. Women really look after themselves and stay style savvy. There is so much choice on the High Street now, and at the moment, lots of brilliant bargains. My favourites are Arket, Massimo Dutti, & Other Stories, Uterque and Reiss. If my budget was unlimited, it would be Maxmara, Chanel and Valentino.”

How do you feel about how women are represented in the media?

“Have you got all day? Things are definitely improving and it’s great to see more women of my age on TV, in ad campaigns and on magazine covers, and it’s not just about how they look. I loved this Sunday Times Style cover of Winona Ryder recently. We are a similar age, and I adore her natural style.

I also love what Meg Matthews is doing with her Megs Menopause campaign. That used to be a really taboo subject but she’s somehow tapped into something and won a new army of fans. I’m looking forward to her new book, too!


I’m going to be honest though and say - it’s not easy! There is still a huge pressure to look a certain way, and it’s something women talk to me about all the time. There are so many options and choices it gets a bit overwhelming. I think it’s really a time to choose what you personally really like and stop worrying about what anyone else thinks. And there is a real freedom to hitting 50!”

When you used to write for the Blog, you did love talking about style icons. Feel free to choose a few today…

Sarah Jessica Parker


“How could she not be on the list? My friends and I watched SATC religiously. Although we all loved Carrie’s wardrobe, I actually love SJP’s own style in real life. She is just effortless - and her new shoe range is gorgeous, too!”

Michelle Obama

 

“Now she has left that really formal First Lady look behind, she has really opened up her style. She’s much more adventurous and colourful. She’s such an impressive lady: her whole ‘Becoming’ theme is so inspiring. Will she be the first women President in the US? Here’s hoping!”

Sandra Oh


“I fell in love with Sandra when she started on Grey’s Anatomy, and she’s just superb in Killing Eve. Jodie Comer tends to get the best looks on the show, but in real life, Sandra has such style. I do love Jodie, though - I’m from Liverpool. We are so proud of her!”

Seema Malhotra

 

“Of course I love Seema on RHOC, but I’ve been a fan of Forever Unique for a long time. Seema just knows her market so well, and wears her own brand perfectly. She has a really defined style, and it’s been a joy to watch her grow her company. A Boss Lady, in every sense.”

Patsy Kensit

 

Everyone who knows me, knows she’s my idol. I’m lucky to have met and interviewed and I know my lovely friend James Harknett has tanned her, using Fake Bake, of course! Even in the 1980’s, when everyone looked a hot mess, she had a cool classic style. She’s fiercely independent, and a super mum. Her new Conscious Puberty campaign supporting women is pretty fantastic, too.”

Christy Turlington


“So many supermodels, which one to choose? Naomi Campbell is always the catwalk queen in my eyes. She’s more than a model, with all of the work she has done in terms of equality. Christy, her great friend, is the embodiment classic style for me. She was on the cover of the first Vogue I ever bought in 1987. She’s now a noted campaigner. I love her laid back style.”

Lauren Hutton


“Lauren was the first model to ever negotiate a huge modelling deal on her own, and her gap-toothed smile was totally the opposite of other models around at the time. She had a powerful presence, and I loved her in American Gigolo, with Richard Gere. She is still fiercely chic and looks best in a signature knit and wide legged trousers: she’s still a 1970’s girl at heart. I basically want to be her when I grow up!”

Jennifer Lopez


“Team Fake Bake have always been huge fans, and I share the love. Jennifer and I are the same age, and I can’t tell you how inspirational she has been to me. In my twenties, you could really only be deemed to look good if you had tiny hips. This lady changed all of that. More importantly, she showed that hard work pays off, as she hasn’t always had an easy ride to the top. Her style is bold, glamorous and out-there. Personally, I love her most when she does elegance. On the red carpet, she just knows how to steal the limelight.”

“There are so many inspiring, stylish women to look to: Yasmin Le Bon, Nagan Munchetty, Helen Mirren, Emily Maitlis, the list really is endless for me.

And the casts of Big Little Little Lies and Little Fires Everywhere are the bomb: Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Laura Dern, Meryl Streep and Kerry Washington are outstanding. There are also so many Insta accounts to follow I get a bit lost myself sometimes! Italian Natya Bascal is my favourite, though -  she is awesome at 77.”


We know you love to write - who inspires you in your favourite world?

“I remember when blogs first came around and it was like a new world opened up, but I never tire of a glossy magazine. I love Lorraine Candy, who has done such great work Elle and Sunday Times Style, and Jo Elvin, who introduced Glamour to the UK, and is now at You. They have really blazed a trail for women. Kathleen Baird-Murray is my favourite beauty writer, and when it comes to blogs, you don’t get better than Jane Cunningham, British Beauty Blogger. I always trust her opinions as she is very honest.”

Apart from Patsy, who’s your favourite interviewee!

“Hands down, Jimmy Choo! He told me all about the last pair of shoes he designed for Princess Diana, which sadly he was never able to give her, and a lot of life advice, too!”

Your favourite celebrity spot?

“Halle Berry. She had jeans, a little white vest and flip-flops on. I can honestly say she’s even more beautiful in real life. I was dumbstruck and didn’t say one word.”

Fake Bake - you must have your brand highlights to tell us about…

“There isn’t a product I haven’t trialled, tested, worn, and checked. I have two decades of experience, and I have never, ever found a tanning brand I love more. And I’m not an influencer, or a brand ambassador. I have tried just about everything else on the market, too. My skin has really changed between 30 and 50, and I have to say I go for a more subtle glow now. I also worked on the brand’s Save Your Skin campaign, so I’m really careful in the sun.”

Fake Bake Flawless Coconut Serum


“My go-to, and my favourite all-time Fake Bake all-star. My skin is drier now, and this formula just glides on. James Harknett is the person I turn to for tips, and I’ve started using oil-free moisturiser on my ankles, knees and elbows as the texture in those areas has really changed. I wore this when I got married, aged 46, and it looked beautiful. It’s back in stock after lockdown, so I’m happy!”

Fake Bake The Face


“I can remember when this was formulated and I got to try it out - sold! My skin can be a battleground - I have rosacea, melasma, signs of ageing (obvs!) and quite a prominent facial scar, and it doesn’t react to The Face, which is a bonus. It also doesn’t dry my skin out, and that’s a win-win.”

Fake Bake Travel Kit

This is a brilliant little kit and if I want to tan in a hurry, I use it at home sometimes as it’s just so easy to pop on! The products smell gorgeous, too!

We really enjoyed talking to Nancy, and as a brand we are going to take her advice and feature her ‘tribe’ more on the Blog in the future. We know that talking to you that life doesn’t slow down over 40, in fact, sometimes it gets even busier. So many of you are working full time, caring for kids, partners, parents and doing your best to stay healthy and feel fabulous. We know it can feel overwhelming but thankfully, jokes about hot flushes seem to be on their way out. Instead, we have a whole generation of powerful women who are brilliant role models for those of us looking to the future.

Apparently, it’s so bright, you can be exactly who you want to be, but if you are going to wear shades, make them Chanel, obvs.

Sunglasses and face masks? Please DO NOT discuss....


For all featured products go to www.fakebake.co.uk

Follow Nancy on Insta @nancybucklandkirk




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Fake Bake United | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig