Monday 25 November 2019

FAKE BAKE talks festive tanning, LA dreaming and a golden year with James Harknett..






Our Global Creative Consultant, James Harknett, is someone we are super proud of here at Team Fake Bake. Having been a part of our tanning family for several years now, James is our go-to guy for expertise, new ideas and cutting edge feels. We caught up with James after a whistle-stop trip to America, and managed to sit down with him at this, one of the busiest times in our beauty calendars.

When it comes to class, no-one rivals our fabulous Mr. H. And when it comes to tanning, James has the wonderful quality of moving between his A-list clients, long term customers and new tanners with ease. As well as being based at the luxurious  W Hotel in London, James also works regularly with the very best glossies and blogs to collaborate not just on self tanning but also to create the types of images that always grab our attention.

So, we asked for a little time with our globetrotting supertanner to ask him for some tips, also about what he’s been up to, and finally his highlights of 2019 as we get closer to the festive season. Here’s what we talked about.

James, you’ve just got back from the States. Tell us a little more…

Most of my trip was professional, although there were tiny windows when I got to have some time off - although not much! As I am based at the W Hotel here in London, I have a great connection with the brand and so I didn’t think twice about spending some time at the W Hotel in Los Angeles. I got to spread the word about Fake Bake and meet, and tan, some up-and-coming names, which is really important. For me as a professional tanner, and Fake Bake as a brand, moving forward really matters. I also got to spend time with the wonderful Victoria Halliday, and we got to see some of the sights, as well as literally catching up in front of the iconic Hollywood sign. It was a perfect trip for me, after spending a little time in Vegas first. I love the enthusiasm that literally welcomes you whenever you step off the plane. It’s infectious! Meeting Jimmy Coco really made the trip for me - he is a legend in the industry and works with the very best.


Professionally, you’ve had such an awe inspiring year. Can you tell us about a few highlights?

I’ll try and choose a few - although it’s been such a crazy year there is so much to talk about! I was really honoured recently when David Gandy talked about my work in GQ magazine. He really is a shining and stylish light still in the industry, and great to work with.

I was honoured by GQ earlier in the year with a GQ Grooming Award for Best Wellness Experience, which was a real recognition not just for the work I do, but for the world of self tanning, too! I always mention that more and more guys are getting into self tanning now - it’s becoming a really democratic beauty treatment.

Working with Julia Styles for Season 2 of Riviera was something really special. This series has grown so much and is so luxurious and perfectly escapist television, set in the most glorious locations. Julia is sheer elegance from head-to-toe, and I was really proud to help be a part of the look that was created for her.

Closer to home, working with the rest of Team Fake Bake right at the start of the year on Dancing On Ice was just remarkable. This is prime time, live television and we had so many skaters and celebrities to work with, but we did so under the most challenging conditions in terms of time and climate. It showed me what you can create with the best tanning formulations and a first class team.

I worked with lots of brides this year, and they are always keen to look their best - that’s a given! Bridal tanning has to be so precise and natural, and there are so many things to take into account. The Brights’ wedding was brilliant fun as the whole family were involved, including the bridegroom. It was a heartwarming day.

I love working in fashion as part of my job, and as well as working with magazines and more traditional media I also love getting out there and meeting people who inspire. I adore all the Fashion Weeks and had a terrific time at Milan Fashion Week earlier in the autumn with @therealfashionblogger as she’s great company and really loves brightly defined and colourful looks.

James we know you are a huge music fan and this has been a vintage year. Can you choose a favourite?

Everyone who knows me knows how much I love my music, especially when it is live, and 2019 has not disappointed. I can’t choose a favourite as that would be impossible, but there are a few highlights that will be hard to beat next year.

I have just seen Madonna in Las Vegas, who is such a musical and cultural icon for me. I also got to see her front row in New York earlier this year as part of her Madame X Tour and she really is remarkable and so creative - she never fails to both surprise and inspire at the same time. I’m a lifelong fan, that’s for sure!

I also got to meet Janet Jackson in Las Vegas over the summer and, again, you can’t argue with history when it comes to how influential she is as both an artist and as an entertainer.

I absolutely adore Kylie Minogue and watching her at Glastonbury this year felt like a real moment to remember. She is one of the most hard-working and generous people in the music industry. The crowd went nuts and it’s no surprise it’s a performance that broke viewing records. I was just so proud! I was also front row when she performed at Edinburgh Castle - she really is flawless.

Finally, I got to see the legendary Barbara Streisand with my sister in Hyde Park. What can I say? She was as brilliant as ever. You can probably notice a theme here - I’m inspired by strong, creative and fearless women, too, and I count my sister right up there on that particular list.

Finally, James, can you use all of the inspiration to get us ready for the party season?

This season is all about full-on glamour. Of course, party season comes at the same time of year as ramping up central heating and cold weather outside, so it takes effort and consistency to get your skin prepped. It really doesn’t take too much time to keep your skin polished with Fake Bake Coconut Body Polish. It’s vital to use it often, not just before tanning applications, so that your skin gets the regular benefit of exfoliation.

If it’s a special occasion I would always say that a professional Fake Bake spray tan will make sure you are perfectly golden from top-to-toe. At such a busy time, it’s super convenient to tan at home, too. Everyone who has tried the new Fake Bake x Spectrum Go With The Glow Gift Set loves it, as you can choose a lighter finish with our Tanning Water or go dark with our Double Shot Espresso. The Fake Bake Bronzer is both subtle and buildable, and the luxury Spectrum Brush and Bag making glowing on the go so convenient. Wherever you can, take your time. Work slowly and steadily from your toes upwards, and make it an occasion for some mindful pampering. At this time of year, it’s a welcome break!

My top tip this year has really been to choose a formula and shade that really suits you, your skin type and your colouring, including your hair - try not to think too much about what others are wearing, really go for what works for you. When it comes to your beauty intuition, you know yourself better than anyone. And that really works well in all areas of your life, I hope!”

So there we have it. We came away from our interview with James with some life advice as well as his tanning tips. We do tend to spend our time scrolling, and wondering how we could be more like someone else, and a little bit less like ourselves.

Maybe the best gift we could ourselves this year is to look in the mirror, work with what we’ve got, slick on our lip gloss and go out there and create brilliant memories with people we love.

We can filter a lot in our worlds, but that joy we get from laughing with people who matter? It’s simply unwrappable…

All featured products available from www.fakebake.co.uk

You can follow James on Insta @jamesharknettofficial

Additional images courtesy of James Harknett, GQ and Sky Atlantic

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Fake Bake United | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig