Monday 28 October 2019

FAKE BAKE gets Halloween ready with MUA Rebecca McGuffie: making a Flawless Statement… with a tan!



Remember when the end of October meant throwing on a pointed hat, a bad wig, and dipping your face in what looked like Tippex in order to appear ghostly? Those days have long gone, and we are so glad they have here at Team Fake Bake. The glamour spectrum has swung right the other way now, and you’ll have already seen a whole host of ghoulish looks knocking around social media, featuring the scarily gorgeous.

One thing you never used to be able to do for this night was wear self tan. It just went against the whole fancy dress code. Now? Anything goes. The clue is to look ghoulish, tanned and fabulous all at the same time. This is one night when you really can go to (ghost) town. We decided to catch up with Rebecca McGuffie, and up-and-coming MUA, as we spotted her work and fell in love. Plus, we want the tips. Clever lot we are, aren’t we?


Tell us more about yourself, Rebecca…
I am relatively new on the make-up scene, only just passing my VTCT level 3 in media and make up artistry at the age of 30. I just couldn't find any satisfaction in other jobs so one day I decided to follow my passion. In the last year I've worked on media shoots, fashion shows and I am now working for the Global Production Team within the Global Make-up Academy, working towards becoming a tutor in my local area for children and teenagers. I also do freelance make-up and run my Instagram page @flawless.statement.x showcasing my creative make-up. It has been an amazing journey so far and I can't wait to expand into further opportunities.

Halloween is such a busy time for MUA’s - why do you think it’s captured our beauty imaginations?
 I love Spooky Season! I think it is such a busy and fun time for MUA's because it gives us a chance to play around with our make-up and get creative. It's gone from green face paint, a plastic nose and a bin bag... to being able to create and become whatever you want. If you look on social media platforms around Halloween, the inspiration is unreal! And who doesn't want to look their best at the Halloween ball? All of the crazy requests pour in and you need to be SFX and media make-up ready!

If we wanted to create a look at home, any pointers on how we could do something a little easier to create?
 It is essential to plan, to make sure you have what you need. My must haves are; Stage blood, liquid latex, face paints and a good set of make-up brushes along with my normal make-up products and tools. I always use face charts too, this helps me map out the look. Everything I do is easy easy, it just takes time, patience and practice to get the best results. One of the easiest looks you can do for Halloween is a Vampire, you can keep your face glam, just add fangs and a little drop of blood by the mouth, dress accordingly and you're ready to go!

What do you love about your job?
I love making people happy! There is something about passing them the mirror and saying "Is that okay for you?" and seeing the client’s facial expressions lighting up as they check themselves out. I had a mature client close to tears once after revealing her look. Seeing her walk away with confidence was just something that felt so special to me, as a woman who has struggled with my own self esteem and confidence in the past. This is definitely why I love what I do, but being on set, rushing around, making sure you get it right and meeting deadlines is a rush like no other but to see the outcome, knowing you were a part of that team, whether it's a fashion show, film shoot or photo shoot, is out of this world. Then there is my creative make-up, which is my main passion. I just love to create a temporary piece of art on my face and then washing it away is like make-up poetry and I love it!

Who are your beauty icons?
My beauty icons... I have so many! Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Bridget Bardot, Beyonce, Lady GaGa, Nicki Minaj... I could go on forever! Val Garland as a make-up artist is a huge inspiration to me, which I have learnt a lot from. Years ago I watched the film Gia about an American model Gia Carangi who became the world’s first supermodel in the early 1980's.

Her story is tragic, dying from AIDS, at the young age of 26 at a time when there was little knowledge of the condition, and no medical treatment as there is now. Her career as a model was fast and wonderful and if you look at how beautiful she was and her amazing work as a model with all of the major fashion houses you can see why she is a true beauty icon. Angelina Jolie, who is also one of my beauty icons, plays Gia in the film and gives an outstanding performance. I would definitely recommend the film to anyone who hasn't seen it and has an interest in the beauty and fashion industry.

And finally we are really glad you can create a Halloween look and keep your tan. We know you love Fake Bake - any tips on your fave products?
Yes you can definitely do a Halloween look while keeping your tan on. Take a look around it's 2019... you're not on a horror film set with the director demanding you look like you have just crawled out of a coffin! We want glam, we want sexy... so grab the Fake Bake and get your tan on! Unless you really do want to look like scary Mary... I just love a tan and even if you are a zombie, a witch or a dead cheerleader you can still rock tanned legs. I use Fake Bake’s Coconut Body Polish and Flawless Tanning Serum for face and body with the mitt applicator and my tan is gorgeous every time. Whether I'm doing normal make-up or creative make-up my tan always looks amazing!

We so enjoyed our meet up with Rebecca and we will be taking her tips on board. And as for perfecting your tanning look, whether you tan at home or go pro, we love this look on TOWIE’s Kelsey by our very own professional wonder, Rox of Rox Tans.


Now we’ve sorted the tricks. Where’s the treats?

All products available at www.fakebake.co.uk
You can follow Rebecca on Insta @flawless.statement.x
You can follow Rox on Insta @rox_tans



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Fake Bake United | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig