Monday 11 May 2020

FAKE BAKE talks perfect glow up tips with James Harknett and ELLE….



Staying on a positive note, one of the great things to come out of this strange time in our lives is that we have had a little access to more of our fave experts. Whether it is cookery or ballet, and every other skill or hobby known to the human race, if you want to know more about it, you don’t have to travel far to find it. Our Global Creative Consultant, James Harknett, has been super-busy in a different way and last week took part in a nightly prestigious campaign with ELLE magazine, live on their Instagram account.


We are so proud of our James. He has been in the industry for twenty years this year, and after giving everyone who joined a brief bio, he was off flying with this fantastic self-tanning at home tips. We had a Zoom chat with James straight after to run through them one more time so you all get access to premium level advice. We thought we knew all there was to know. James, however, made sure we completed our set of skills.

James Tip #1: perfectly golden limbs and hands

“I really like having a wardrobe of self tanning products at hand, and I do love multi-taskers and luckily, through my role with Fake Bake, I get to try the very best! Everyone asks me about prepping and one thing I do now is to actually exfoliate the day before self tanning, which is quite a change from the usual advice. On the day itself, I always make sure I am armed with a simple, oil-free moisturiser.

My favourite formulations have a tanning guide and I’m so thrilled we have just had a new bumper delivery of Fake Bake Flawless Self-Tan Liquid. Flawless started the whole family with the same name - Flawless Darker is also back in, everyone! The whole range has won so many awards it is hard to keep track of them!


Millions of bottles of Flawless have sold around the world, and it’s my personal favourite! It is easy to spritz on. I make sure any areas which are naturally dry have a barrier of oil free moisturiser - this gives you a seamless finish around elbows and ankles.

When it comes to hands at the moment I have a slightly different approach. We are washing them more, and so it’s easier for tan to fade faster and skin to become really dry. So I am doing my ‘hands tan’ more often than the rest of my body. I apply a really sparing level of oil free moisturiser, and then get to work with my Flawless.

One of my favourite make-up artists showed me her favourite trick: she applies self tan on her hands with a larger blending or kabuki brush using strokes from wrist to fingertips. It’s amazing, you get brilliant coverage and no build tell-tale build up. It’s quite a subtle finish but it means you can apply it regularly. And a little product goes a long way!

James Tip #2 glow up your face with a natural finish

As I work with photographers so much, I get to realise what really works on camera, and what looks much better in real life. I love working with MUA Freyja Barker who knows how to get it right: she loves a natural, glowy look. Facial tanning is one area for me where tans with a colour guide are spot on. New, clear formulas are brilliant and easy to use and have their own place, but for the face, I want to see what and where I am applying my tan. Of course, Fake Bake already have their own facial tanner, but when I am in a hurry I adore using Fake Bake Double Shot  Espresso Tan, which has a super-light formula.

I take two drops of Espresso and mix it with my favourite facial moisturiser - make sure you are using a lightweight one, and not a heavy, oily formula. Then take your blending or kabuki brush and literally buff it into your skin. This is the best method of application I have tried - it means you get a realistic finish around your hairline, which often used to be a bit of a giveaway. Finally, you can add another layer of coverage under cheekbones, on the bridge of your nose and on your temples. It’s a natural way to tan-tour, without having to rely on heavy make-up! This is also so cost-effective and quick. Espresso has a serum formulation so is perfect for combining with your moisturiser.

James Tip #3 making it last

I know this is not novel news, but especially as we get towards warmer weather, jump in the bath before you plan your tan. And if you have any remaining tan from last time, use a cloth you’d get with your favourite cleanser and gently tackle stubborn areas. Once you’ve applied your tan, please try and stick to showers. Anything that dehydrates the skin shortens the life of your tan. One thing that has emerged over the last few years is our obsession with skincare as well as self tanning.


If you use hot water and harsh cleansers and skincare every day, then that facial tan is going to have a much shorter life. In terms of cleansing, use a really gentle facial cleanser that you remove with a warm, soft cloth and don’t scrub. This kind method is effective for both your skin and your glow.

A lot of you ask me about skincare and there is so much choice and it gets so confusing, doesn’t it? I would definitely steer away from active ingredients on a night when you apply your facial self tan, as it makes it easier for the tan to work and also gives your skin a break.

My final advice, as always, is never forget your SPF. I know now so many of us are at home we have more time to sit out if we have access to outdoor space. Of course, sun has a feel-good factor and is important for Vitamin D, but burning is so bad for the skin and once you have perfected the art of a gorgeous Fake Bake glow up, it’s the only way to get golden.

Thanks to all of the team at ELLE UK, it was lovely chatting tanning tips with you guys. I just hope it’s not too long until I am tanning you in person….”

Here at Team Fake Bake, like you all, we are adapting to all of the new advice and guidelines and please rest assured we are being really mindful. And we still like to think we are doing our bit…

Our Fake Bake Mystery Bag is still available on our website - priced at just £20, it is packed full of £100 worth of goodies. Our aim here is to support independent therapists in the UK who are finding the current situation a real struggle.

There is still 30% off for NHS workers. Let’s help keep our key workers’ morale up…

Our Hand Sanitiser comes in a bumper sized bottle and for every donation we are able to distribute sanitiser to those in the community who are finding themselves without a home.
We can’t wait for our new subscriber issue of ELLE to arrive. A magazine that was first published here in 1985, with supermodel Yasmin Le Bon on the cover, this year is celebrating a first by having no image on the cover, but the names of 228 frontline workers. One thing is for sure: we produce products, ELLE write the words, but it is you who are really the true stars.


We’re giving up asking about hair welfare. There’s not a DIY trick left in our arsenals. If you see us in a supermarket queue in gym leggings and oversized beach hat, you’ll know it’s us.


We are now feeling more than a team. It’s more of an army, really, isn’t it?

To purchase Fake Bake Flawless at the special price of £20 go to www.fakebake.co.uk

You can also shop the rest of the range and all of our Quarantan offers

To follow James on Insta go to @jamesharknettofficial

Follow ELLE magazine on Insta @elleuk and got to www.elle.com

Cover courtesy of ELLE UK

Follow Freyja on Insta @Muafreyja

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Fake Bake United | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig